Wednesday, February 19, 2014

These are a few of my favorite things

 Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens........

Many people will recognize these lines as a few of Julie Andrews characters favorite things. I am not sure if its her voice or the picture of her smiling from ear to ear while spinning in the field of green with the majestic mountains behind her, but the song, the image, the whole scence just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Which makes me wonder; how often do those same warm fuzzy feelings well up inside me in regards to my own life?, the reality of my story? It seems that some where long ago I began to convince myself that there was no need to spend money on "extra things." To be responsible was to spend money only on what one needs. And I was nothing if not responsible. I remember enjoying doing things, and having things, but somewhere over time I slowly told myself that necessity was what was important. Stuff had no value, no need to waste time or money on "things." And though it was not my intention I began stealing much of the simple delights from my life.

There was truth  buried in my logic; we are not created to treasurer "things", nor should we prioritize stuff above people. At the base of my thinking the logic was sound, but piled on top of that logic was lie after lie devaluing who I was, robbing me of simple joys. Flowers, leather boots, special coffee, and painted nails were for other poeple, not for me. No need to wast my money on that stuff right? Denying myself of things became the norm. 

Today I find myself mothering tweens!! I am responsible for shaping them. "Training them and teaching them in the way they should go," the Bible says. My beautiful eight year old girl looks up to me with eyes of wonder and asks, "can you paint my nails mom?"

'What!?' I think, painted nails......are they necessary?..... Painted nails are what fun and cute girls around me as a teenager did while I convinced myself it was not that big of deal......but apparently 17 years later it is.

It's a big deal because from my example my daughters will learn to make choices to either embrace or deny themselves simple joys. (I am not saying painting nails is a must to enjoy life) I am simply saying that convincing myself that I did not need or want fun things as a young lady now has the ability to shape my daughters thoughts about her life. Its a big deal because although I turn 35 this year, I still feel a smile start to rise up inside me when flowers are delivered to me. Truth is I like flowers; and that should not be so hard to admit.

The Bible says God delights in the desires of our hearts. He wants us to enjoy the life He created, which means to enjoy a few of our favorite things. So why should I go on pretending I don't have a list; denying myself of simple joys.

Bright colored flowers and carmel tasting coffees..
Deep blue painted nails and walks thru the market
These are a few of Melissa's favorite things...................

So I will teach my girls what it means to spin in the green soaking up every part of my majestic scenery. I will enjoy each sip of coffee and each glance of my kitchen table with the beautiful bouquet of tulips that sits in the center. I want my daughters to feel butterflies, and have sore cheeks from smiling from ear to ear. I want them to enjoy all of their favorite things.



No comments:

Post a Comment