Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Intentional picture

Recently I was asked what my word for 2014 will be? Words are a big deal to me, so it took some time to narrow it all down to one word......hmmmm.

I long to do so many things.  I remember being 20 sitting in my dorm room at college day dreaming about who I would be in my thirty's, what I would be doing. There was a very clear and detailed picture in my head. The picture was a collage of images that I hoped for, a future bursting with life, a life filled with people I loved and there I was in the middle of it all enjoying every opportunity to serve, laugh, grow and truly live. I had such promise, my entire life ahead of me, the vision was all mine and it was beautiful.

Fifteen years later I am standing in that vision. I have grown up, however so much more growing to do. Only 30 days into the new year, and it is proving to be a very motivating and reflective year as I will be turning 35! So I ask myself does this picture, this life, look anything like the one I created in my mind over a decade ago? .....

Nope, it sure doesn't because in many ways I was not capable of dreaming big enough. I could not have prepared myself for all the places God would take me, or the amazing people who He would bring into my life. At 20 years old, I did not realize how strong I could be or how big my faith could grow to be. Never in a million years could I have imagined the amount of pain along with the abundance of joy that I would experience with such gratitude. Who knew the risks I could take or the adventure that I would get to be a part of, I certainly did not.

No, the picture in my mind at age 20 looked very different than the scene I am living in now. Missy looks a little different than I pictured her, but I am really okay with that because it has taught me to think bigger, hope for more, expect the amazing and to love who I have become. The picture looks different, but I am still in it, and it is still beautiful.

Now, at 35 I am looking ahead again to what the years will bring. I am painting a new picture in my mind. However this time I am taking hold of what I have learned and choosing to be very intentional  with my days, that I may continue to be the girl that God has designed, the girl I have grown to like so much. I want to be used, filled with joy and pursue every dream I have inside of me.

So, my word for 2014 is intentional because I believe being intentional is the discipline of connecting the gap that lies between God's plans and my dreams.....and I am dreaming big!


No comments:

Post a Comment